The Hobby Drive was laid out between 1811-29 by Sir James Hamlyn Williams. It was created as part of the Romantic Movement of the early 19th century, which embraced the beauty of nature rather than science and reason. The three-mile carriage drive features four gently curving bridges. The work was carried out by men from Clovelly, providing them with employment after the Napoleonic War.
As it winds through the woods, it gives magnificent glimpses and views of the harbour and Bideford Bay.